IPC – SafeCross
Intelligent Pedestrian Crosswalk
In recent years, there have been a lot of reports about accidents, personal injuries resulting from the fact that pedestrians/cyclists and drivers did not perceive each other in time.
The rules of traffic are absolutely straight forward in terms of giving way, though, its everyday application is really problematic. Hundreds of accidents occur at pedestrian crossings as a result of neglecting the rules of giving way. These involve not only pedestrians, but cyclists as well.
In most cases road signs and paints are not sufficient tools of pedestrian and biker traffic. The signs built in the roads are frequently endanger those who they tend to protect. Besides being dangerous, they are not eye-catching enough, so they are unable to deliver their primary function in a proper way.
At pedestrian crossings with no traffic lights the pedestrians’ sense of safety is low because even though they step on the crosswalk – where in theory they have priority – in practice cars just race in front of them. However, the SafeCross® system detects the real intention of the pedestrian to cross, and warns the cars on both sides with flashing LED lights built in the road. As a result, drivers can perceive from a longer distance that they will have to give way shortly. The main objective is to integrate this warning system into the consciousness of the participants in traffic, namely flashing lights mean person … !
When Designing a Lighted Crosswalk, The Goal is to Save Lives with The Most Effective Solution
When it comes to achieving pedestrian safety with lighted crosswalks, the goal isn’t to save money—it’s to save lives!
Understanding that each pedestrian crossings requires a specific design that takes into account all of its needs is important. Ideally the effectiveness of the system, and not its costs will determine which system is selected.
Speeds Affect Crosswalk Visibility
According to the NHTSA, “…more than 75 percent of pedestrian fatalities occur at non-intersection locations, and vehicle speeds are often a major contributing factor.”1 The motorists’ field of vision is different at different speeds. The faster the speed, the more targeted the field of vision.2
The SafeCross system is an automated system, that detects the real intention of a pedestrian to cross the street, and warns the cars on both sides with flashing LED lights built in the road. As a result, drivers can perceive from a longer distance that they will have to give way shortly.
The main objective is to integrate this warning system into the consciousness of the participants in traffic
Flashing lights = Pedestrian / Cyclist
Perfect solution for schools, hospitals, busy areas, parks, old homes and difficult to see intersections.
How does it work?
- Sensors perceive the actual intention of passing through
- The special LEDs built in the road warn the drivers
- Only at real passing through
- Only for the period of passing through
- Automatic operation
- Special sensor activation
- Easy installation and maintenance
- Low maintenance costs
- Low historical costs
- Effective energy consumption (LED, solar panels (optional) >1kWh/month)
- In case of solar panel option no power supply is needed
- Energy source: Solar modules / External DC feed
- Energy consumption: 12V, 18mA / 36 mA
- Illumination technology: 12 x Ultra Bright LED
- Luminous intensity: 150 lux / 370 lux
- Operating temperature range: -30C to +85C
- Warranty: 2 year (extended)
- Available lash patterns: Controllable – Flashing, steady or sequential
- Available colors: White, Blue, Red, Green, Amber
- Light visibility distance: up to 800 meter (varies according to weather conditions)
- LED protector: UV-treated polycarbonate
- Case: Aluminium
- Compressive streght: 1000 kg/cm2
- Dimensions – Body: 134mm x 65mm
- Hole size: 120/140mm x 80mm
- Weight: 0,8 kg
- Water protection: IP68